Senior Research Economist – London – 43 – 57K (Top Company)
This recruitment is for a Senior Research Economist to undertake analytical, modelling and research work within the Research team of our client.
The Research team is responsible for the production of certain Budget forecasts on behalf of our client . The main software packages currently used by the team are Matlab, Excel and EViews and the team is responsible for a number of analytical tools and models that have been developed using these packages. In addition, the team makes extensive use of bespoke IT systems developed by our client’s IT team.
The successful candidate will work as part of a small specialist team in which technical expertise, professionalism, attention to detail and collaborative working are highly valued. The Research team consists of seven staff including the team leader.
Key responsibilities and main tasks and activities
The jobholder will:
Contribute to the specification, improvement and testing of the models used by our client to produce its forecasts for their other departments.
|Essential||· A good undergraduate degree (1st or 2:1) in economics, a numerical discipline or quantitative finance.
· A postgraduate degree in economics, a numerical discipline or quantitative finance.
· A significant econometrics component in one or both degrees
|Desirable||· A professional qualification in financial markets (e.g. CFA Charter, Certificate in Quantitative Finance, CISI Diploma in Capital Markets).|
|Essential||· Using econometric techniques for analysis, forecasting and simulation.
· Working for several years in a research or analytical role.
· Developing and implementing models.
· Analysing data and producing analytical reports for a range of audiences.
· Using EViews.
· Using a programming language on a regular basis.
|Desirable||· Working in a financial institution or the public sector.
· Using MATLAB.
· Excel VBA proficiency.
· Microsoft Query/SQL.
· Microsoft PowerPoint and Word, including the equation editor.
|Essential||· Econometrics – advanced.
· EViews – advanced.
· Excel skills – advanced.
· Interest in and understanding of financial markets.
|Desirable||· Knowledge of MATLAB.
· Some understanding of bonds and fixed income markets and instruments.
|Essential||· Excellent oral communication skills; comfortable presenting analytical work to technical and non-technical audiences.
· Excellent written communication skills, for example in drafting reports based on analysis of data.
· High degree of drafting accuracy in written work.
· Excellent analytical skills.
· Excellent planning and organisational skills.
· Strong attention to detail.
· Enthusiastic and pro-active approach to new challenges.
· Ability to take the lead on a number of workstreams.
· Ability to work to sometimes very tight deadlines whilst maintaining high quality outputs.
|Desirable||· Able to manage and develop others.
· Proactive approach to problem solving.
· Prepared to take ownership.
· Ability to contribute to the direction of the team’s work.
· Pro-active approach to suggesting better ways of working.
· Good team player with an aptitude for working well with people with a range of skill sets.
· A flexible approach to taking on new tasks to assist in the team’s work.
· Motivating self and others in bringing a professional and enthusiastic approach to all aspects of the role.
· Proactive in identifying opportunities for learning and development of self and others.
Benefits and Terms
Pensions – They offer a choice of pension arrangements giving you the opportunity to choose the pension that suits you best. More details are available on www.civilservice-pensions.gov.uk
The annual salary for the role is between £43,000 and £57,000 per annum (only in exceptional circumstances would more be available).
Leave – You will have an annual leave allowance of 27.5 days on appointment (pro-rata to length of contract) plus paid bank holidays.
Probation – You will normally be subject to a period of probation for the first three months of the appointment. Our client may exercise its discretion in extending the probationary period beyond three months where considered necessary.
Investors in People – As an Investor in People, the values skills and expertise and is committed to training and development. It is a rewarding place to work, respecting people, with an open management culture and a common sense of purpose.
Appropriate training will be provided if this is required to fulfil the objectives of the role.
For more information or to apply please send us your CV.